The Ultimate Beginners Guide To Selling On Amazon: Amazon is one of the world’s biggest retailers. This organization has taken the online shopping experience to dizzying new heights. If you’re a seller, you can take advantage of this platform to connect to the millions of buyers it provides.
From baby products to industrial power tools, Amazon sells a wide variety of products on a single platform. Many entrepreneurs start selling on Amazon before building their own e-commerce stores. By doing so, they gain the experience of selling online without the cost of maintaining a full-fledged store.
Learn everything you need to about selling on this e-commerce giant.
What Selling On Amazon Means
Amazon is not just one of the largest retailers; this e-commerce platform is also a popular search engine for buying products online. Most buyers head to Amazon when looking for a product, even before searching for it on Google.
When you search for a product online, it’s Amazon page gets displayed first provided the product is available on Amazon. This means Amazon has the capability to direct all the traffic from online shoppers to their platform.
The Ultimate Beginners Guide To Selling On Amazon
This is why you should consider selling on Amazon, even if you have you have your own online store. The very fact that Amazon lets you share its traffic is great for your business. This comes at a cost, but that is lesser than what you’d spend on building a website and marketing your product.
How Selling On Amazon Works
Amazon has been helping business and individuals boost their sales since the year 2000. By selling on Amazon, you can reach millions of customers and increase your potential revenue. More than 40% of Amazon’s sales come from 3rd party sellers; in order to sell on Amazon, you’ll need to register as a seller.
Before you register, though, you’ll need to decide whether you want to sell as a professional or as an individual. As many as 20 categories are available for individual sellers. When you register as a ‘professional seller,’ you have at least 10 more. Check the product categories here.
Next, you need to choose the selling plan. Amazon offers you two selling plans to choose from.
- If you plan on selling more than 40 items in a month, you’ll have to register as a professional. You’ll need to pay Amazon $39.99 per month, apart from selling fees.
- Under the individual plan, you cannot sell more than 40 items per month. You need to give Amazon $0.99 per sale, among other selling fees.
The benefits offered are understandably higher when you opt for the professional plan. You can sell in different countries, customise your shipping costs, use Amazon’s reporting and bulk listing tools, and offer special promotions on your products when you register as a professional.
Individual sellers can just add products to the Amazon catalogue. Amazon will look after the requirements related to shipping and customer service.
The 4-Step Process To Sell On Amazon
Once you register, you can start selling through these four steps.
- Create an account, and start listing your products on Amazon’s marketplace. Individuals need to list one product at a time, while professionals can add them using bulk tools.
There are two ways by which you list products on Amazon. If you’re selling products that are already on Amazon.com, you need to say how many products you intend to sell, their conditions, and the shipping options. If you’re selling something new, you’ll need to make sure that your product has a barcode and make Amazon identify it. You’ll also need to add title and product descriptions.
- When you list the products on Amazon, customers can see them. You can start selling. Make sure you include high-quality images and provide accurate descriptions on the product you’re selling.
- Amazon will notify you when a customer places an order. You can handle shipping yourself or use Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) to do the shipping on your behalf.
- Amazon deposits the payment to your bank accountThe Ultimate Beginners Guide To Selling On Amazon
- and notifies you when the payment is made.
Selling on Amazon is easy, and is often the best way to sell products online. This is especially so when you’re starting new, and your funds are low.
Once you start earning revenues, make sure you build your online store, something that you can call yours. E-commerce store builders like Shopify, Magento, and Woocommerce have made building stores easy. In just a few steps, they help you build your store and start selling.